So I posted on a Health & Fitness board about running a marathon. I read on the Hal Higdon website that he recommends running for 1yr before attempting a full marathon. On the health & fitness board some one posted that a race director some where recommends 3yrs of a running back ground before attempting a full fledged marathon. ... 3 yrs seems like an eternity away . I understand the reasoning behind it; I don't want to get injured. I want to be strong enough to run the full marathon. So I am rethinking the decision to run a full in Jan 2011. I am currently researching races for the rest of the year, and then next year I will plan on running several half marathons, and some 5k's and 10k's.
___
Today was the Disney Princess Half Marathon.... We had to check in to the volunteer tent at 4:45am; uhm the race didn't even start until a little after 6am. WTH?! I had to get up at 3am. Not a happy camper. It was in the low 40's high 30's this morning when we got to Disney. Brr. I wasn't dressed warm enough to be standing out in the freezing cold for hours. We were the "screaming fans" in between mile 12 & 13... which meant it was an hour and 20 min after race start before we ever saw the first runner- then we stood there and screamed/cheered for the next 4hrs.... The last runner/walker came through around the 4hr 20 min mark. Holy Crap. Im sorry but i was totally over it by then. I was still screaming and cheering, but my voice was shot & i was damn near starving. ..... We then went to check out and spent the rest of the day at the Disney Parks. We had a great time... Next year I want to run the Disney Princess, not stand on the side lines.
Sunday, March 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I saw a NOVA documentary where they took 12 people with no running experience and trained them for a marathon in 9 months. Many of them finished average time, some of them slow, and a couple of them finished in good time. I think it all depends on what time you want to finish in and your health. I've been running a year now and I plan on running my first marathon in Nov. I don't have high expectations though... I know I won't be the fastest! ;-)
Post a Comment